Fit4LifeFriends Forum ♦ One Step at a Time
Nutrition ♦ Fitness ♦ Healthy Lifestyles ♦ Motivational Support ♦ Weight Loss

Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome, we hope you enjoy your visit!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only personal features such as customizing your profile, having a blog, sending personal messages, chatting and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free! *Attention New Members: Registered members MUST post at least one time. F4LF is spammed with false memberships and to keep this under control we delete all user names which have no posts. In order for an account (membership) to remain active, you must post within 72 hours of registering. The Introduce Yourself forum is a great place to start, but if you do get deleted before you are able to post, please feel free to register again.

Please read 'Use Of This Community Means You Agree To' under our Terms of Use, Membership Guidelines & Disclaimer before joining.

Join F4LF Here

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rocking chair: sneaky way to burn a few more cals?
Topic Started: Nov 21 2007, 11:57 AM (5,869 Views)
featherlitegal
No Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Hi all,

I have been thinking about this for a couple days. Bear with me while I unwind my thoughts.

I've been reading that the average 150 pound person might burn about 68 cals an hour just meditating, or sitting still. This seems like a reasonable number to me. If I take the lowest recommended amount of cals per day at 1200 for example, and divide by 24 hours - that means we burn 50 cals and hour just being us. So 68 seems a fair number assuming most people at 150 pounds would need more than 1200 cals per day for maintenance with no activity.

I've been thinking about the fact that I like rocking chairs. I've started to rock with a purpose the last couple of nights if I watch any tv. (I don't think it matters whether it is a rocker, or a glider type chair). I noticed how my thigh muscles were working and I started pondering if this was a mild exercise. I think it is. Very mild, yes, but I feel like it is doing something for me.

My googling efforts to discover how many calories one might burn while rocking were rather pathetic. There isn't any info of substance. However, I did find a mothering web site where the writer suggested that rocking for an hour probably burns 150 cals per hour. A few other web sites discussed that rocking is beneficial to health in various ways, and that yes it would burn a few more calories.

I'm somewhat stoked by this idea. 150 cals an hour is a lot better than just being a lump in a chair burning at base metabolic rate. And, this would give me more incentive to relax more at night. I have been too tense and too consumed with my various duties ... and I would like to schedule 2 hours rocking and watching tv a night (or reading a book). So I'm going to give this a try.

Another benefit for me is that it is super low impact. I need that very much. With my fibromyalgia, I have a heck of a time keeping my impact low enough to not trigger a relapse. (Triggered last night by being an over exuberant cyclist - and am I sorry!)

So what are your thoughts on this rocking notion for buring a few more cals? I am sure its psychological benefits will be great.

Looking forward to your thoughts,
-Feather
PS: If I can land the two clients I'm currently woo-ing, I think I will make a Christmas present to myself of refinishing a LARGE antique rocker that needs new rockers, stain and new uphostery. Its built for a very large man and I've glommed onto it from my family's basement. It has childhood memories and I'd love to see it restored. I started the job myself, but never finished it!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shygemini
Member Avatar
Elite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh i totally think that would be a low impact form of exercise! If you are using your legs to rock yourself back and forth it would help tone. Anything is better then just sitting around. Actually this kind of excited me since i spend most of my day at work rocking back and forth on my chair (its an old crappy chair that leans back more then it should lol). Anything where you are moving would definately burn calories.

Sorry to hear about what happened last night :huggs: That would make exercising so difficult.

NicC
Member Avatar
Elite
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That does sound reasonable. Wonder how much having restless leg syndrome burns extra? Have you tried water aerobics for exercise - it's pretty low impact but a good workout. My mom has fibromyalgia and she really likes her yoga class. :huggs:

Posted Image

TeachX3
Member Avatar

Rocking is fun and burns double the calories... OH YEAH! :bouncy: Sounds awesome to me!
~Dannielle
Age 45 - 5'5 - Medium Frame
Starting Weight: 191+ and Lowest Weight: 141
My Reminiscence... (Vintage, Mod, Retro & Mid Century - The 20's to 80's) ...an Etsy Shop

2 Corinthians 12:9 - But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Posted Image

triscuitwafer
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
I agree that it sounds like a much better idea then just sitting still. I rock my nephew to sleep atleast twice a day and sometimes I sit on the exercise ball with him and bounce him to sleep. It really does give you a small workout. my stomach muscles have to hold me upright and my legs have to keep me bouncing:)
God said it. I believe it. That settles it.

Katrina, age 29, 5'5", married, mom of 2

Posted Image

featherlitegal
No Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for your thoughts and kind comments everyone. :) So maybe I am on to something after all with this rocking. Well, I'll keep doing it and see how it works out. I can't see any negatives to doing it. And I do feel good afterwards.

NicC - Sorry about your mom. The water aerobics isn't available to me right now - but maybe in the future. Good to know she has something she likes and can do. I've heard great things about how water activities keep the strain off the joints really well.

Had a rough Thanksgiving - But on the positive side, I just discovered a new SIMPLE dessert recipe that is fat free. Muah hahaha! It is Pineapple Angel Food Cake. Take one box of Angel Food cake mix (I bought Betty Crocker). Mix in 1 full can of Crushed Pineapple (20 ounce size) - juice AND ALL. Mix and bake according to package directions. It is TOTALLY DELICIOUS!

1 Can crushed pineapple = 405 calories
1 whole box mix = 1680 calories.

1/12 of finished cake = 174 calories / ZERO Fat

Wahoo!

« Previous Topic · General Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply

If you are interested in being an affiliate or advertising with F4LF, please register and contact TeachX3 via Private Message.

Please Support F4LF

Independently Owned and Operated, Copyright 2007-2012 Fit4LifeFriends, All Rights Reserved.
All content on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used in place of a visit or advice from a doctor.